Monday, September 21, 2009

My students have lost their marbles!

I am convinced that I have the greatest students ever in my classes. They are so funny and crazy all the time, and I love it. I'll tell you about my favorites. :)

Elena

Elena is awesome. She is 13 years old, and is in level 3 English. She is so smart, and she loves to learn. She is also really dramatic about everything (probably a big reason why I love her!) The other day, she was making a big deal out of something, and I told her that she was being dramatic. She looked it up in the dictionary, and said , "Teacher, NOO! I am NOT!" Haha. One day, we learned that the phrase, "lose your marbles" means to "go crazy." So Elena started to use the phrase all the time. Her chair was being really squeaky that day, and she said, "Teacher, my chair has lost it's marbles." Then, the next day I was passing out a test, and she was stressed about it. She said, "Teacher, can I borrow your marbles?" HAHA! Because she had lost hers! Another time, a boy in the class said that he was going crazy, and Elena said, "I stole his marbles." Still another time, she said, "Teacher, have you seen my marbles?" The possible usages for that phrase are endless!

Elena is also obsessed with learning how to write in cursive. One day, at the end of class, I wrote out all the cursive letters on the board, so that she could copy them down. She practices every chance she gets, and she is getting really good at it! Yesterday, her paper with all her cursive letters was on the floor, so I picked it up and gave it to her. She said, "Oh teacher, thank you! It is my treasure! Treasure number 576!" I was confused. I asked her what she meant. She told me that she has 576 treasures, or things in life that are important to her. And she has them all memorized! I asked her what treasure number 101 was. She wrote something on the desk with her finger, and then said, "The teddy bear that my mom gave me when I was little. It is very dirty." Number 1 was her journal. Number 2 was her bank card. I was in awe as she kept telling me about these numbered treasures. She said, "Teacher, I am 13. I am very old, so I have very many treasures."

Robin

Robin is in the same class as Elena, and he is so funny! He is a little chubby and so cute! He's the prankster of the class. Every day, before class, he tries to play a prank on his friend named John. One time, he took John's books without him noticing, and put them outside the door, with a post-it note that said, "John." At the start of class, I brought them inside, and gave them back to John. Robin just started laughing hysterically! I really don't know why it was so funny! The other day, Robin took John's backpack, and put a post-it note on it that said, "Trash." Haha. That was a good one. He laughs so hard about things, and his laugh is contagious. It's like this high-pitched squeaky laugh that is adorable. He is all about pranks all the time.

Robin is also extremely smart. He asks me great questions, and he really wants to understand everything. The other day, we learned the word "boast." I explained that boasting is when someone talks about how good they are by saying, "I am so pretty. I am so smart. I have more things than you..." The whole class erupted, saying things like, "Oh teacher, I have friends like that!" Haha. Then Robin said, "It is Prince Virus. There is no cure." I made him explain it to me to be sure that I had heard him right, and I had. Boasting is The Prince Virus because it is a sickness you have if you think you are as good as a Prince. And there is no cure! HA! I'm sorry, but that is brilliant.

One more story about Robin. Yesterday, I was passing out a test, and they were freaking out as usual. I said, "Don't worry, it's easy." Robin said, "Every day, you say easy. But it is dangerous. Teacher Karen is dangerous." Haha. I liked that one! He is just so funny. He gets himself in trouble a lot too, and then he's says, "Sorry, sorry, sorry!" It's hysterical.

These are just two examples of the awesome students that I have. They are all so interesting and unique in their own way. I could tell stories about all of them for hours. I never thought I would love teaching this much! But these students make it so much fun because I never know what to expect!

No comments:

Post a Comment