Thursday, June 3, 2010

It's a Pirate's Life for Us

It's June!  As expected, being in "Pirates of Penzance" has made the days and months go by even faster than normal!  Literally, all of our free time on the weekends that used to be filled with traveling and hanging out with friends, has been devoted to putting up this production.  It has (mostly) been a good experience, but of course no show is free from it's own ups and downs and show drama.  Put 25 people in a  small rehearsal space for 16 hours on the weekend, and add in some stress... and there's bound to be drama! :)  Through it all, Tim and I have met some awesome and talented people, and had a lot of fun with the cast.  Tim is an amazing pirate, and is having lots of fun dancing, singing, and dressing as one!  I am loving Mabel and all of the beautiful music I get to sing.  Last weekend was our dress rehearsal, and this Saturday is our first show!  The rehearsal went well, and we were all relieved that the show was finally coming together.  Then, yesterday our good feelings were shattered when we found out that our director and Pirate King in the show broke his leg!  He was hit by a car while riding his motorcycle, and now has to get surgery.  We are all thankful that he was not hurt more seriously!  But this means that he is out of the show, and that our stage manager has 3 days to learn the large role.  Welcome to life in the theatre!  Also, I have been mildly sick with a cold for the past two weeks.  I have been able to sing through it and everything, but this week it has gotten worse.  I am on medication, and am downing water and vitamin C like it's my job, but I'm still a little worried about getting my voice back to performance level by Saturday.  If you think about it, please pray for these glitches to our show!  We trust that it will all come together because shows somehow have a way of doing that.  But right now, it feels like a crazy, chaotic mess!  Oh theatre, I have missed you!

Here are some pictures of our rehearsals...

This is an adorable little girl named Esther who hangs out at rehearsals with us.

I pulled out the camera, and she posed like this.  Please.

Me as Mabel

Mabel and Frederic

The sisters spying on Mabel and Frederic.

He is the very model of a modern Major General.

Tim as a pirate!!

The policemen

Dancing pirates

Pirate Ballerinas

Ruth... the girl pirate.  She is hilarious!

Our Pirate King who broke his leg. :(

The show must go on!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment