Friday, February 17, 2012

Furniture and Hot air balloons

Getting ready for a baby is hard work (and expensive)!  But we've had so much fun buying Vivi all the things that she will need.  It has been a challenge at times, because there are no Walmarts or Targets here in Egypt.  So there's no one-stop shopping.  Plus, baby clothes, baby furniture, and baby things in general are very expensive here.  So we've had to get kind of creative.  Thankfully, Vivienna has an awesome aunt, uncle, and cousin here in Egypt, and they are graciously letting us borrow a TON of their stuff!  Also, my parents are bringing us a suitcase of things that we couldn't find here, and for the big things, we had to search around a lot to find the right prices.

 Here's the rocking chair we found at a local shop down the street from our apartment.  Since it was made in Egypt, it was really reasonably priced, plus so stylish and comfortable!  And since the Courlisses are known for their love of rocking chairs, we figured Vivi couldn't be without one!

We love this crib!!  One of our Egyptian friends went with us to buy it so that she could bargain in Arabic for us. :)  Thanks to her, we got an amazing deal.  Some of the brand name cribs we saw were triple the price of this crib!  Plus it's handmade, along with the mattress.  We think she will love it.  

No, we did not buy this in Egypt... this is the quilt that my mom made for Vivi!  Our theme for the nursery is hot air balloons, so she made this, and it will be perfect!  

I wish I could put up a picture of the nursery, but since we're moving in June, we decided not to set up a nursery until we get to the new apartment.  Believe me, this makes me a little nuts, because I want to have her room all perfect and ready for her, but it's ok, I don't think she'll notice. :)  My vision for her room is that it will be very classy and stylish (like her!).  I have three vintage-looking art prints of hot air balloons for the wall, and I'm hoping to get a little crafty here soon and make a couple of decorative things too. :)  

I love getting ready for my little girl!!

2 comments:

  1. Uncle Dennis and I had a good laugh about your rocking chair comment. He is just dumbfounded when we are all together and there is so much rocking going on! He has always thought it was a bit strange and yet a little funny at the same time. Whoever has the best rocking chair always gets the baby, so it is a win-win situation!! Tell Vivi her Auntie cannot wait to introduce her to the "Courliss Rock"!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoying your preparation for your little girl! She will be so loved, and the two of you will be such wonderful parents. Just remember... Too much orange juice "straight" will make them hyper :) Have fun! I read a book called, "The Power of a Positive Mother" by Karol Ladd, when I was pregnant with Robby. This book has been such an amazing tool, that has aided in this job called Motherhood. I reread it every year. Good luck! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete