Monday, October 18, 2010

Walls, Walls, WALLS!

I haven't quite been able to put my finger on why I love old fortress walls so much.  Lots of times walls symbolize keeping people out and not being open to others.  I don't like this side of the symbolism, but I do like that walls symbolize protection and unity for those inside of them.  Fortress walls have such a deep history embedded in them, and many people have walked those same paths.  And what is more gorgeous than a wall snaking along a mountainside?  So, there... I guess I put my finger on it!  Protection, history, and beauty are why I love fortress walls!

My love for fortress walls began last year because of our visits to the Suwon Fortress wall (four times), and The Great Wall of China in Beijing.  This year, we decided that we needed to see some other fortress walls nearby that we had heard about.  So two weekends ago, we went hiking at Namhansanseong, which means Namhan Mountain Fortress.  It was completed in 1624 and is about 5km around.  There are several watch towers and temples inside, and it was important for protection, especially during Mongol invasions and Japanese occupation. We met our friend Collin there and enjoyed hiking, seeing the wall, climbing the wall :), visiting some temples, stumbling upon an orchestra concert, and seeing the clear view of Seoul from the top.

Collin and Tim

The beautiful wall

We accidentally started hiking on the wrong side of the wall, so we had to climb over it. :)

Me on the wall!

Stone monuments at a temple

The view of Seoul!  Breath-taking!

To continue my love for fortress walls, this past weekend we visited another one- the Seoul Fortress Wall.  This wall was built over 600 years ago as a way to encircle and protect Hanyang, the ancient capital of the Joseon Dynasty.  At its longest, it was about 18km around, but about 10km is left of it today.  It is built around the four mountains of Seoul- Namsan, Nak, Bukak, and Inwang.  After church and lunch on Sunday, we went with our young adults group to hike on part of this wall.  The weather was perfect for hiking, and the wall and views were beautiful!  After the hike, we walked through Samcheong-dong, an area in Seoul known for ritzy restaurants, coffee shops, museums, and stores.  I had never been here before, and I loved it!  We had a really fun time hiking and sight-seeing with our friends, and I got to check another fortress wall off my list!  Win, win!  :)

Walking...

Doly and Tim

The view!  So gorgeous!

Some (not all) of the young adults group

Us. 

Being cheesy :)

Another view...

... and another!

Going back down along the wall

Samcheong-dong... 

Very quaint and un-Seoul-like.

Both fortress walls felt like hidden gems!  We've been in Korea for over a year and haven't discovered them until now.  It's amazing how fresh and new it still feels being here.  There really are ENDLESS things to do and see, and wonderful friends to share those things with.  So thankful!

1 comment: